Tuesday, February 13, 2007

My Rock


About ten years ago I was desperately trying to have a baby. We went through endless tests and finally were told we should try IVF. Along the way, I found a wonderful, caring friend who was on the same journey as me. Her name was Joann. I had posted a message on an infertility website and she just happened to respond to one of my posts. Now mind you, people post from all over the world on this message board. Soon after corresponding with her we both realized not only were we from the same state, we were going to the same infertility clinic and had the same doctor! I just knew we were meant to meet. It was so amazing to have found someone who knew exactly what I was going through. We became email buddies. I really looked forward to her emails each day.

Every once in a while Joann would send me little gifts in the mail to help cheer me up. Once after yet another failed cycle she sent me a card with encouraging words as well as a package of my favorite candy, M&M's. For Christmas that year she sent me a beautiful glass ornament of a cradle. She said her grandmother used to give them as gifts to families with hopes of a new baby that year. Every year I hang it on my tree as a reminder of those long years of waiting and also of my wonderful, compassionate friend who gave it to me.

Then one day, after yet another failed cycle, I received this patience rock from Joann. It took a while for it to sink in but I finally realized that I was trying to control the uncontrollable and needed to be PATIENT.
I think it is so ironic how this rock has taken on new meaning these days. I now keep three "angels" next to it as a reminder to be patient with our children.

There is a happy ending to this story. Joann and I gave birth to babies less than two months apart. I will forever be grateful to my friend Joann.