Friday, October 08, 2010

The Bucket Dipper

Have you read this book yet?
Auntie Kimmy shared this wonderful book with my kids this summer. It's a story about how everyone walks around with invisible buckets. Its purpose is to hold your good thoughts and good feelings about yourself. You need other people to fill your bucket and other people need you to fill theirs. You can either fill someones bucket by spreading kindness, love and joy or you can empty someones bucket by being mean spirited. It also talks about how you can dip into someones bucket by saying or doing mean things to someone. A bully is a bucket dipper.

The other day, I found the book on the bookshelf and read it to Gianna again. We talked a lot about the book as we read along and I could see that she really understood what the book was all about.

So two days ago, Gianna came home from kindergarten and said a little boy named Ryan that she sits next to at school, and has been complaining about now practically since the first day of school, had punched her in the arm at circle time. I was sick of hearing about this boy so I called the teacher right away and asked that she move either Gianna's seat or this boy's seat. It didn't matter to me. I just didn't want him next to her anymore.

When Gianna came home from school yesterday, she was very happy. I asked her if the teacher moved the boy and she said with a big smile, "Yes, Mom. You know what? Ryan is a bucket dipper."

Isn't she amazing for just 5-years-old?