Thursday, April 17, 2025

Nine Lives

My old man...who is now 16 1/2 years old and weighs a mere 5 pounds...has been THE most HIGH maintenance cat from day one. Oh how I could count the ways...but I won't for now because it would turn into a novel. He has literally been on deaths door many times these past few years but he always bounces back. I think I have to give myself a lot of credit for that though. I swear it's my love and determination to keep him safe, happy and healthy. He's been my constant campion all these years, and despite how much work he is, I still want him here with me as long as he is feeling good and he's comfortable. After this last bout with a horrible case of IBD, he has once again bounced back on medication as well as my sheer determination to get him through it. This has meant three nights with very little sleep checking on him to be sure he was feeling OK and keeping his night sleeping space clean. It has also meant watching him closely all day long to be sure his "accidents" were cleaned up and that he didn't wonder off somewhere to create new messes. Ugh. The days were long but I think we're back on the other side of things again...for now anyway. Because I know there are always new challenges when it comes to KoKo. 

Oh the way he looks at me with those now clear eyes...thank goodness. Again, after many visits to the vet and trial and error with expensive prescription food...he can see again! He always looks at me with so much love and trust. That gives me the energy to keep going to be the best cat Mom I can be. 

I love you my skinny old high maintenance man...