Four years have come and gone but I have to say it didn't go by fast for me...at all! I feel like he's been in Kentucky for way longer than four years. Danny and I flew there on Friday. Nicholas picked us up at the airport and we went to grab a quick lunch. Then we stopped by his house for one last time. It's a typical guys frat house. He and one of his roommates spent a lot of time cleaning up the kitchen and living room after all the other guys moved out. Nicholas always keeps his room very neat and clean...
Later that night we met up with his girlfriend, Haley, and a bunch of his friends and their families at a really cool Irish restaurant and bar. They had lots of outdoor seating which was perfect because the weather was beautiful. Then Saturday was the big day! His graduation was at 10:00 a.m. in the KFC Yum Center in downtown Louisville. It was one of two ceremonies because there were a lot of graduates. In true Nicholas fashion, he got there super early so he could get a seat right up front to be one of the first ones to get their diploma and make a quick exit. Haha! He was in the second row!
Nicholas getting his diploma...
He did a photoshoot with his friends the day before graduation. I just love all these pictures. He's so handsome...
I am so incredibly proud of him! From the very beginning, he has followed his own path. Not the traditional path of going right to college after graduation. He knew he needed a little more time and wanted to try junior hockey. It had always been his dream and he did just that! He did all the work himself reaching out to teams and landed a spot on the Vermont Lumberjacks! Then he moved on to the Springfield Pics for his second year. After that, he said he was ready to try college. Again he did all the work sending out applications and visiting different colleges. He finally decided that the University of Louisville would be the best fit for him. Going on his own timeline made all the difference in the world!
He has accomplished so much playing hockey all these years. Starting with the Vermont Lumberjacks by earning Top Goalie of the Week and then Goalie of the Month...to winning MVP for a game and then making it all the way to the Frozen Finals and playing in net! From there he moved on to play with the Springfield Pics and then earned a spot on the University of Louisville hockey team! He was in net to beat their biggest rival, The University of Kentucky, and was named Player of the Game and won the game "belt"! He also won the game “belt” after a shut out again North Carolina. Then he was honored with The Most Valuable Player at the end of the season! He earned every one of those! So amazing! Not many can say they accomplished all that!
His ultimate goal was to earn a college degree and he did just that! He now has his Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice. From that super rambunctious little boy who found it so hard to sit still in the classroom and focus on his schoolwork...to being a college graduate! Back then I never could have imagined him going to college, but he did it!!
I've missed his presence in my every day life so much. I'm happy he's coming home. I know it won't be forever that he'll be under our roof so I'll savor the time we do get with him.
He's shown us that when you do what you love and follow what truly motivates you, you will succeed. I hope he continues to pursue his passions and chase his dreams!
We are so proud of you Nicholas!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!
Love you forever and always!!
Your Mudda : )