Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Potty Mouth

Nicholas came home from kindergarten yesterday and told us he learned a new song. At least he gave us fair warning that it was going to be inappropriate but sang it anyway. It was a variation of "Yankee Doodle Dandy" with not too nice lyrics. I really, really tried not to overreact...really I did...and asked him who taught him that song. He told me a boy in his class did. This is kindergarten! How this infuriates me. I know I can't shelter my kids forever but can I at least make it through kindergarten? Because Nicholas is my oldest he isn't exposed as much to this stuff. I'm finding it harder and harder to keep the inappropriate words, actions, etc. away from him. He has many friends with older siblings. I'm just sad I guess. My baby is growing up and heading out into the real world...I guess where they learn things much, much earlier these days.

Just so you know I did write the teacher a note and she did speak to the boy. Let's hope no one else had to learn the new lyrics to Yankee Doodle Dandy.