One day the pig bit Gianna on the finger and she declared, "I'm never EVER touching him again!" And there was my out. I told her that it was time to find him a new home. A family who would really have time for him and possibly give him a friend! When I got the "OK" from Gianna, the ad went on Craigslist. And wouldn't you know it? I got all kinds of responses right away. I was very fortunate to find the sweetest woman with two cute little girls who were wanting a little pig of their own.
As the adoption day got closer, I started to second guess my decision. I felt this overwhelming responsibility to find the perfect home for this little guy. And was I actually feeling...a little sad too??? No, it couldn't be I kept telling myself. Because I knew the minute he left the house, the weight of the world would be off my shoulders and I'd be jumping for joy. Right?
But why did he have to look so cute on his last day with us?
And why did he have to lay in the cutest little position with his little legs all sticking out all relaxed???
And why did he have to rest his little head up against the cage like he was all content and happy in his clean little cage???
The adoption day was here. I could feel myself getting a little weepy so I kept practicing what I would say when the family showed up at my door. I even pictured the little girl taking out her wallet and handing me the money for Blaster. I practiced what I would say to her..."Oh honey...please keep your money. Use it to buy something nice for Blaster at the pet store."
I had Danny take the kids out of the house for a while so they wouldn't be here when we gave the little guy away to his new family. I figured it would be too emotional for the kids.
So when the adoptive pig family's car pulled into the driveway, I was prepared and feeling strong. I opened the door with a big smile. I welcomed them into our home and introduced them to Blaster. I explained a few things and gave them a few instructions. And then here's where things went oh so terribly wrong. The adorable little girl pulled out her adorable little wallet just as I pictured, and I said to her what I had been practicing and practicing..."Oh honey...save your money to buy something...nice...for..." and then...the tears. It's what Oprah calls "the ugly cry". Yes. Oh yes. I started bawling! Bawling!!! I had to cover my face I was crying so hard! It was so ridiculous! I was crying over a rodent!! The woman was saying, "Oh honey!" and hugged me right there in the front hallway. Here I was being comforted by a complete stranger! The little girls were looking at me with these horrified looks on their faces! Then the nice lady just grabbed the cage and quickly ran out the front door with him. I wiped the snots from my face and picked up a box that had all his little belongings in it...his hay, his bag of food, his little treats, his vitamin C drops...and then I dragged my pathetic butt out the front door and placed the box in the back of their car...and started to cry again! I can't even begin to tell you how ridiculous I felt. I couldn't get a grip! Thank goodness they left quickly and I went in the house to bawl like a baby for a few more minutes. And then I just starting laughing...uncontrollably!
Yes, I'm sure the adoptive pig family will be making fun of me (the crazy guinea pig lady) around their dinner table for years and years to come. I'm sure of it.
The lovely adoptive pig mom sent me a very sweet and heartfelt email the next day to assure me how well Blaster was doing. She said the girls were "lavishing him with love and attention". And I'm sure she probably thought I was hanging out at my computer just waiting for some word about the pig...and of course I was.
Bye bye Blaster. I guess I really did love you after all you silly little pig, but I know we did the right thing. I know you're already very happy in your new home.
And I also know Gianna will be in therapy over this someday too. I gave away her very first pet. : ( Oh, the guilt.
The End