Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Another quick visit

When I tell my family and friends this story...I know some are amazed and totally believe me...and then there are others who listen politely and I'm sure quickly dismiss it.  But let me tell you...it was real...and it happened.

My Uncle Chuck was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and passed away the end of July.  He was my Godfather and really quite the character.  He was loud, funny and just the gentlest guy who gave the best bear hugs.  When my father was so very sick in the hospital, right before he passed away, my Uncle Chuck was there to say his goodbyes.  He saw me crying and came over to me and gave me one of his biggest and most comforting bear hugs.  He told me to "stop crying"! He was just trying to make me smile and I thought it was incredibly sweet.  

Uncle Chuck and my Aunt Mary (my Dad's sister)

At his wake, the priest arrived to say a few prayers and passed on an incredible event that happened while my Uncle was passing away.  My aunt (his wife) and one of their children both saw an angel in the doorway of his room. They each said to each other..."do you see it too"?  How wonderfully amazing was that?  

Well, the day of his funeral on August 1st (I want to remember the date) I woke very early to the sound of Danny closing the garage door as he was leaving for work.  I rolled over in bed to get a little bit more sleep before I had to get up and get ready for the funeral...and then had the strangest dream.  I felt like I was back in high school and I was starting the long walk home from the school to my house. I started to get nervous as it was getting quite dark out and I really wanted my Mom to come pick me up as she always did back in the day.  So I stopped at a house (don't know where) and asked to use a phone.  The phone was very complicated for some reason and it took lots of tries to get my number right.  In my mind, I was calling my childhood home trying to reach my Mom...when my Dad answered the phone.  And let me tell you...it WAS my Dad talking to me.  I was so confused that I couldn't concentrate enough to listen to what he was saying to me.  I remember I was just so overwhelmed to be hearing his voice (a voice I haven't heard in almost 6 years) and it was him.  I know it was him.  I was saying to myself...how can this be?!?  Who is at the house who sounds exactly like my Dad?  Who am I listening to?  But I knew...I just knew with absolute certainty...it was my Dad talking to me.  Then I started getting chills and these crazy "shocks" down the backs of my legs as I was laying there having this dream.  It actually hurt...and I know that's what woke me up.  I wish I could remember what he was saying to me...but the only word I remember him saying very clearly was "Stan"...who was my uncle who passed away a few weeks before my Dad.  I woke up in complete shock...and then I burst into tears. Because I know my Dad came for a visit.  And it makes total sense to me that he would be so close by during that time...to be there for his sister, my uncle's wife, and all his family at such a sad and difficult time.  

If it were just the dream...yes I would still believe it to be true...but with the chills and the way my body was feeling...like an electric current running through me?  Well, I know. That was proof.  It was my Dad.  He paid me another quick visit.  How lucky am I?  

I love you Dad...