Thursday, September 13, 2007

Learning about kindness


The nastiness started early this summer. Just too much together time and the fighting was terrible. They were simply not being nice to each other. So I tried something new this summer. I explained to them what "kind" meant and how to spell the word. (They were 4 and 5 when we started this so learning to spell a new word was a bonus!) I know this looks really simple but it worked! I had them make up their own chart with the word KIND at the top. Every time one of them was kind they would draw a star on their own chart. Before you knew it they were aware of their own kindness as well as other peoples random acts of kindness. But of course they were sneaky about it too. For example, Nicholas would say, "Julia, I love you! Now do I get a star?". They often spell the word out of the blue. "K-I-N-D" is what we hear around the house when the other one isn't being nice. I'll tell you it worked like a charm. We still have fights of course but at least they are aware.

Next up...patience! (Maybe I'll make a chart for me too!)

Oh...and please ignore the wallpaper in the background. We will be remodeling the kitchen soon and I've picked out something much prettier!