Monday, June 02, 2008

Recital #2 - Wild Thing


Julia's getting ready for her second recital. I'm not loving the costume this year (last year was so much cuter) but the dance is 100% better. There are eight little girls and they are all so cute! However...I think her costume got mixed up with someone else because it is really too big for her. All the girls were in their costumes for picture day. Everyone else had on these tiny costumes with capri length pants. But not Julia. Her crotch was hanging down to her knees and her pants go right down to the ankles. There are twins in her class that are...hmmm...let's say a "little bulky" and I think Julia got one of their costumes. So how do I approach that with their Mom? "Excuse me...but is one of the costumes a little "tight" on your munchkin"? Or how about..."Are you sure that costume won't tear on her ass when she does her forward roll"? The teacher suggested I "tack" it so it will fit. Tack what??? Does she not know that I am blind as a bat and have zero sewing skills?

Then there is the situation with the head piece. Here are the directions: "Take a glue gun and glue a clear elastic band under the chin." EXCUSE ME BUT IT WON'T STICK! But there I am. The only Mom with that problem. Everyone was looking at me like I had two heads. One Mom told me to just "whipstitch" it. What?!?! What the heck is a whipstitch? Why can't the costume come in a nice neat bag, in the correct size, all put together, in one piece, with no alterations necessary.

Now I know what my Mom and Kerry used to go through at the studio. All the mom's complaining about the costumes being too big, too small, too expensive, etc. I don't want to be one of those Mom's! Ugh!!!