Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Decisions decisions...

Dancing...


or gymnastics...



What will she choose?
Today I got Julia's gymnastics schedule for the fall. I'm not crazy about it...at all. This summer she spends 6 hours a week at the gym. In the fall, it jumps to 9 hours a week (3 hour practices, 3 days a week). A little much for a 7 (soon to be 8) year old, don't you think? I mean really...is she going to the Olympics? Ahhh...no.
Tonight when I walked in to pick her up, she said, "Mom! Watch this!" She did a back walkover...on the beam...the HIGH beam...by herself...no spot. For real. She was the only one on her team tonight who could do it on their own.

On the other hand, she has the chance to be on the junior acro team at her dance studio in the fall. She also has the opportunity to start taking better dance classes and start competing. Problem is, it conflicts with the gymnastics.
So tonight, I sat her down and explained two options to her.

Option 1: Stick with gymnastics and finally get to compete Level 4 (which she has worked so hard for). She still can dance one day a week (tap & jazz). This choice may be hard for her as all her dance friends will be doing more routines in the recital and competing. But this would give her the chance to still do both.

Option 2: Quit gymnastics and just take acro & dance. She'll get to do 4 dances in the recital this year, be on the junior acro team, and compete. If it's the tumbling she loves, she can still get that at the dance studio. But I explained that if she quits gymnastics, it's not a sport you can easily get back into again after you've been out of it for a while. Her gymnastics friends will move ahead of her...and fast.

I told her it is HER decision. No one can make up her mind for her. She has to do what her heart tells her to do.
Funny thing is...I already know what she's going to do.
Stay tuned...
And one more thing...the gym asked Gianna to join the Hot Shot team...it starts at 3 hours a week...she's 5. Oy vey...